Tuesday, January 08, 2008

1629 Civil litigation in NJ

Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Driving home last night I was listening to a NJ talk radio station, and heard something startling.

They said that 95% of New Jersey businesses had been hit with civil suits within the past x years (I missed the number, but it was like 5). That it was fairly easy to win a civil suit in NJ, because of lenient judges who allow what amounts to nuisance cases, which actually draws people to sue. They went on to say that 25% of companies based in NJ were seriously considering moving out of the state as a direct result. Many of those who plan to stay in NJ plan to raise prices for their products and services to cover the cost of litigation.

Interesting.

The next item of news, and I'm not sure whether anyone at the radio station realized the irony, was that NJ judges were going to get a 10% raise in salary.
.

2 comments:

Becs said...

On my list of reasons for giving up my petsitting business was knowing that eventually, someone was going to sue me for something.

Even though I had insurance, I could feel a lawsuit creeping closer. The thing about being a petsitter is that you do have to be perfect - truly. You can't let go of Fido's leash for one second, you can't accidentally give Fluffy one more treat than she usually gets, because something will go horribly awry and your ass will get sued.

People here sue each other at the drop of a hat. I hate it.

~~Silk said...

I've heard that people consider lawsuits in NJ a better bet than the lottery.