Saturday, November 03, 2007

1532 Credit, Gutters

Saturday, November 3, 2007

I got a call this morning. I have a Mastercard, joint with Jay, that I have used only once in the past three years - a $25 charge at Macy's in Poughkeepsie last April (two knit tops). There's been a slew of charges over the past week, in England, so the Mastercard fraud department called me.

I don't have the faintest idea how anyone could have gotten the number. I have never used it online, seldom use it anywhere else, and have all the cards in my possession. Mastercard will void the charges.

Although when I answered the phone they asked for ME by name, since Jay is the primary on the card, they wanted to speak to him, too. "Uh, that might be a bit difficult." They're being very nice about it. They're going to reissue the account in my name only.

This is the first time I've had a credit card number stolen, and I'm pleased that it worked out so well. Daughter went to Mexico a few years ago, and afterward there were thousands of dollars charged on her card from multiple places, and it was a mess.

Then I got another call, from Butchie. Yeah, a 40-something-year-old man who refers to himself as Butchie. He cleans my house gutters every fall, and he called to ask when I thought they'd be ready to clean. Usually, it's the first week in November, but last year and this year, my trees are all still fully leaved. No point doing it until all the leaves have fallen, and given that most of my trees are still green, I don't know when that will be. We might even have snow first. (Which reminds me - gotta get the snowthrower serviced.)

There's an antiques auction tonight. I think I'll go to it.
.

No comments: