Wednesday, October 31, 2007

1525 A Merry Mensan Halloween

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

I'd promised to describe Friday night's costume contest at the gathering.

A merely good costume doesn't make it. It has to be a pun, or some kind of "in joke".

There were more than a hundred people in the contest. Mensans take contests seriously, especially those that involve puns. They lined up, got up on the stage one by one, and either challenged the audience to guess, or explained the pun. Then they visited the judges' table, and bribed them. Bribes are encouraged. The whole process took a long time, but it was never boring.

The costumes I remember (not necessarily the best, and in no particular order):
1. A monk in chains with a number on his back.
2. A sheep with four large bite holes in its body.
3. A man in a t-shirt covering conical protrusions all over him.
4. A woman in a Renaissance serving girl costume, with brown furry ears and a long tail.
5. A man in black hat, side curls, tassels dangling under his shirt, wearing a Nationals team sweatshirt.
6. A group of four, in green makeup and falling-down pants, who rapped threats at the audience.
7. A man in a donkey costume with a happy dog face, with lolling tongue.
8. A cat delivering paper messages.

Take a guess as to what they represented. I'll put the answers in the comments later, so check back.

There were a lot of good ones before I realized I should take notes, so these are not necessarily the best, just the ones that made it to my notes. Some I can't figure out. I wonder what the "Leaf Blower" looked like? Don't remember. I do remember a pirate with dollar bills stuck to his ears, and when I heard what he was I thought "Hey, that's pretty good!", but now I don't remember what the pun was.

Ahah! I just remembered! He was a buccaneer!

---------------------------------

Next day - Ok, having been prodded by an impatient Queen, I have provided the answers in the comments. Don't look until you've tried guessing, though.
.

2 comments:

the queen said...

It is now later.

~~Silk said...

The costumes:
1. Felonious Monk
2. Four megabytes of RAM
3. Random access mammary
4. Monkey wench
5. Hebrew National
6. Gangrene
7. Donkey Odie
8. Mammal grams

There were a hundred or so of those, and it's considered bad taste to repeat a pun within five years or so. I liked #6 best.