Sunday, September 23, 2007

1481 Writers' Pool

Sunday, September 23, 2007

We had a "Meet the Writers"/Pool Party/Pot Luck dinner this afternoon, at the home of a Mensan on the flat land just below the Shawangunk ramparts.

People who write for the newsletter were supposed to be the guests of honor, so the rest of us who've been reading their contributions could finally meet them. Of course, the only writers who showed up (two of them!) were the usual who always show up when free food is offered. There were maybe eleven of us there, which for our group is a very good turnout.

Also typically mensan, there were two entree offerings, and 9 desserts. A little coordination needed there....

I was amused that three people had reminded me to bring a bathing suit, but the only ones who actually did were myself and another woman. She actually went into the pool. I didn't even put a suit on - the sun was warm and bright, there wasn't a cloud in the sky, but the water temperature was 63 degrees. I consider that hypothermia range!

The conversation was pretty good, ranging from politics to the difficulty in getting speakers for the upcoming roundtables on global warming, to the abundance of animals on the roads lately, to the habits of wild turkeys, to gastronomic chemistry - what really happens to aspartame in the body (it ain't pretty).


The hosts own three large dogs - a standard poodle, a mastiff mix, and a lab mix. They all fell in love with me (and I with them), and the mastiff in particular licked every spot of exposed skin on my body. Makes me want a dog again.
.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember going to a pool party for school teachers, and found it a bit stogy. I looked at the lovely unused pool, and longing.. and daring myself to strip and dive in naked. And then, refusing to take the dare.
Oh, if we could turn back the clock.
chuck

~~Silk said...

I just realized that the "didn't put a suit on" part could be interpreted several ways - one of which makes the "licked all exposed parts" even more interesting! Oh my goodness!

All very innocent, honest! I stayed dressed and didn't get wet.

~~Silk