Thursday, July 19, 2007

1384 How to Pronounce "Ashokan"

Don't know why, but I get a lot of search hits from people trying to find the pronunciation of "Ashokan" (as in "Ashokan Reservoir", "Ashokan Field Campus", "Ashokan Farewell", etc.)

I guess some people might think it's ASH-o-can or ash-o-CAN.

It's actually pronounced ah-SHOW-kn. To rhyme with "I've spoken."

It may help you to know that there's a hamlet called "Shokan" (SHO-kan).

Happy search hits.

You're welcome.

(In case you're wondering about why I'm sure of the pronunciation, my country house is about 15 miles from the Ashokan Reservoir, I have been to many events at the Ashokan Field Campus - the local Mensa group used to have their annual fall gathering there - and I am slightly acquainted with Jay and Molly, who wrote "Ashokan Farewell" back when Jay thought that the Field Campus was going to be sold.)
.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

works for me. That's the way I would pronounce it, but then I'm not a native American.