Friday, June 01, 2007

1277 PenPal Picnic; Headboard

Friday, June 1, 2007

[Edit - Oops. Changed "May" to "June" above. Ignore.]

I went to dinner with FirstWoman and then Mensa games night last night. I learned yet again that high scores on IQ tests do not correlate with common sense.

When I got home about 11 pm I found a phone message from Roman, saying that he had a favor to ask of me. I called him back, and it turned out that he had found a secondhand headboard he liked, and wondered if I could help him get it home with my minivan. His original idea had been the back seat of his car, but it didn't fit.

Told him I had a picnic to attend Friday morning, but could head over his way early afternoon.

This morning I went to the RSVP Pen-Pals Picnic and got to meet the kid I've been corresponding with all school year. The senior pen-pals of several of the children were unable to make it to the picnic. That's terribly disappointing for the kids. Like a rejection. So I started picking up extra kids, and they invited more to share "their" senior, and I ended up with a small herd. Again, like last year, I had a ball. They're all such good kids. And I'm more active than most of the other seniors, so can I get down in there and dirty. I had a bunch of boys on the beach teaching me how to skip stones (I still can't do it, my rocks sink like, well, rocks), and they taught me the meaning of all the dirty words carved into the picnic tables. In exchange, I taught them about poison ivy.

The picnic was over at 1:30, and I headed over to Roman's, got there about 2:20, and we went to pick up the headboard. It's an old-fashioned "bookcase" style, queensize, and there's a second mirrored piece that fits on top. He took a lot of kidding from me about that part ("ceiling next?"). It's a good thing he asked me to help, 'cause that muttha was HEAVY! He'd never have been able to get it into the house and behind the bed alone.

We finished all that about 4:30, and he suggested dinner, but I thought 4:30 was a bit too early. I know he rents movies a lot, so I asked if he had any he hadn't watched yet, maybe we could watch a movie then have dinner, but he didn't have any, but the library is just around the corner, so we could go pick something out. Ok. But then he got a call from a client, so I washed dishes while he was on the phone, then we took his laptop to the library with us so we could use the WiFi so I could show him some videos I'd found, then etc. etc., and by the time we picked out a movie, it was 6:30.

So we went directly from the library to the diner on Main in Pok, across from Uno's. It's one of those Greek diners with the monster menus, but the food was unexpectedly good. Terrific, even.

Then we went back and watched the movie. "Broken Flowers". We chose that one because we didn't know anything about it except that Bill Murray was praised for it. Watched it. Still don't know anything about it. We were sitting on the sofa (a respectable 18 inches apart and no touching) and we both kept nodding off, but the movie was very strange. One of those things you have to think about.

And now I'm home.
.

2 comments:

Becs said...

Aha! I suspected as much about 'Broken Flowers'. I tried to watch 'Lost in Translation', but didn't get it to the point of hating it.

Anonymous said...

SO, TELL ME ABOUT THOSE DIRTY WORDS. THEY HAD TO TEACH YOU????? GLAD U HAD A GOOD TIME..ROBERTA