Wednesday, May 30, 2007

1274 Aspie Workshop

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Phone calls last night: sister-in-law, needs information on NYS Estate tax rates and law, for planning purposes; FirstWoman, she's having some good experiences; Roman, just chatting, for an hour and a half. He gave me some good leads on the tax info I needed, and walked me through getting rid of that stupid photo-handling software that came with the system.

Toward the end of the call with Roman, I asked, "So, when will I see you again?" He answered, "At the Asperger workshop tomorrow. Remember?" Agh! I'd completely forgotten about it!

So bright and early this morning I met him at Dutchess Community College, and we went to the workshop. Actually, it was not a workshop. It was a seminar, speaker Timothy P. Kowalski, 9 am to 5 pm, with a 1 hour lunch.

I didn't learn anything I didn't already know, but it was interesting anyway. The audience was all (except for me) educators, and the talk was about the different aspects of Asperger Syndrome, how Aspies think and react, what kinds of things they are likely to have difficulty with, and how to help them in the classroom and in career counselling.

Roman and I sat together in the seminar and had lunch and dinner together. He's teaching a class tonight. I told him I had gone to the gathering with The Man, and that I'd enjoyed the weekend. Other than that, we didn't talk about The Man or Roman's girlfriend, but I assume those two are not getting along very well. He said he was "home alone" all last weekend, but he didn't say why and I didn't ask. It wasn't so much what he said as the way he said it. There was portent. I paused for two seconds and changed the subject.

I think without actually speaking the words, we have reached a kind of agreement about what's off limits. If we can stick to it, we might be able to preserve a friendship.

(I want so badly to say the forbidden "told you so". I told Daughter that within six months of his mother's death, he'd break up with the girlfriend, or, if he was still with her after six months, he'd be with her forever. Well, it's just short of four months. I don't know which I'm hoping for. I think she's just using him, but I don't want to see him all alone, either.)
.

No comments: