Thursday, May 31, 2007

1275 Lying Clock!

Thursday, May 31, 2007

It IS Thursday, isn't it? I'm starting to lose track of days.

I really needed to go to the museum today. It's getting desperate. So last night I set the alarm for 8:45 am. That's the latest I could get up to get some paperwork done around here and make it to the museum by 11. I'd have to leave the museum by 4:45 pm, to meet FirstWoman in New Paltz by 5:45, for dinner before games night at the library.

I want to get to the library early, if only to foil Zig's plans to gossip about me and The Man and last weekend. That would be amusing. I wonder if Zig will explode trying to hold it in. He wrote a "trip report" for the Mensa Yahoo group, and in it he said "Silk was also there, and seemed to be enjoying herself immensely." I could almost see the grin.

Because I'm working with the databases at the museum, I'd need a minimum of four hours to get an entire job done. Can't stop in the middle, or I'd get confused about where to pick up again, and in the meantime, the database would be inaccurate.

So last night I fussed and fiddled with the alarm clock, trying to decide on exactly the right setting. 8:45 was the winner.

This morning I woke up on my own, and looked at the clock. It said 8:45. I was very pleased with myself, and *closed my eyes again for a few seconds. When I opened them again, the clock said 8:45. I was very pleased with myself, and [repeat from * two or three more times. Knitters among you will recognize this device.]

It never occurred to me that the clock said 8:45 every time.

I was awakened finally by a phone call. I hadn't taken the cordless to bed with me last night, so by the time I made it to the phone, the machine had picked up and the caller hung up without leaving a message. The clock in the den said 12:45. The clock in the kitchen said 12:45.

I guess when I set the alarm clock last night, I didn't switch it from "alarm" to "time", and it never rang. Just sat at the alarm setting all night.

There's no point in going to the museum today. Not enough time to complete one entire task. I'll have to go Sunday. Saturday I have to make up the Habitat commitment I blew off last Tuesday, when I was trapped in inertia, and tomorrow is the pen pal picnic, when I finally get to meet the fifth grade boy I've been communicating with all school year (an English class assignment).

The Gypsy had invited me to a very interesting event this Saturday, but I screwed up on that, too. There was a deadline for registration, and a costume requirement I was fussing over, and with everything else going on, it whizzed by. Sorry Gypsy - please don't see this as rejection. Invite me again next year?
.

3 comments:

Marika said...

Alarms are dodgy, and aren't to be trusted.

When I was living in London, I booked myself in for a weeked trip to Paris - my first time there, and I could not have been more excited. I was on a bus leaving at 6.00am and needed to get up at 4.00am to get ready and down to the station in time. That morning, I woke up not to my alarm, but to my drunken and rowdy housemates walking through the door at 5.30am. Turns out I'd set the alarm for 4.00pm instead of am. I still made the tour - called a cab, jumped straight into clothes and tore straight there!

It was a great weekend to, and I shudder to think that I almost missed it.

Christine Dempsey said...

The event isn't until next Saturday, June 9. And if you aren't able to make it, that's fine!

~~Silk said...

Ack! This means my calendar is lying to me, too?