Saturday, May 19, 2007

1257 Proud of Me

Saturday, May 19, 2007

I am very proud of myself. Today, for the first Saturday morning in almost two months, I actually made it to the recycle center.

I took 11 large paper grocery bags - 8 were "slick" paper (office paper, glossy newspaper inserts, junk mail, magazines), and 3 were "dull" (newspaper, non-corrugated cardboard, phonebooks). I also took a 30-gallon bag of glass and plastic (#1 and 2 only, thank you). That stuff had been taking over my kitchen floor. It's so nice to be able to walk around in there again, and to be able to get into the lower cabinets without having to move heavy bags out of the way.

I didn't take corrugated cardboard. There's quite a lot of it (I don't know where it comes from! It just appears!), but that will have to wait for the next trip.

Driving back from the center, I noticed that the Elks had the huge drum barbecues set up in their parking lot. All summer long, on certain Saturdays, they grill chicken. You can get half a chicken and a delicious baked potato for $5! Today was the first of the season, I think. I bought two. For $10 I got a whole chicken and two huge potatoes. And butter.

Today's looking good so far, even if it is drizzling.
.

1 comment:

Chris said...

I love community bbq's! Even though my food is always better (IMHO), it's nice to support a cause and get a bargain at the same time, don't you think?