Sunday, May 13, 2007

1245 Sigh of Relief

Sunday, May 13, 2007

I survived the weekend.

I'm still at the hotel. I had reserved two nights because I wasn't sure how tired I'd be, what with the cold and all. Glad I did. I got back to the hotel about 6 pm, and promptly passed out for an hour and a half. I'd have been off the road if I'd attempted to drive home.

Dad's birthday reception/luncheon at the church was nice. Lots of people were there, many from out of town. I was surprised that he had difficulty walking. He takes tiny steps and needed to lean on my arm for balance.

So many of the people who came up to wish him a happy birthday said things like, "Congratulations on making ninety! My aunt was 92 when she died." Or father was 94, or whatever. I dunno, but if I were hearing that said to me, I'd think "Gee, are you telling me I haven't got much longer to go?" Like they were stressing that he's into the single digits left. Yeah, probably true, but he didn't need to be reminded over and over. And over.

After the reception, MS and YS and their families left for home, so I went back to Dad's house with Dad, his aide, ES, and ESH. ES tapped into my auction experience to go through the attic and basement to see how much of the junk was worth saving. There were like seven large steamer trunks and some old suitcases that would go well at auction, some wonderful old multi-tier card-file cabinets, an old child's rocking chair, a wicker perambulator, and a few other things. But most of the stuff either wasn't old enough, in good enough condition, or high enough quality to bother saving. ES says they have to clear out at least the attic this summer, because it must be insulated. Heating costs are going through the roof.

Daughter had arrived at the hotel late last night, after an eight hour drive alone (Hercules had to stay home to care for their cat who'd made a Friday night emergency vet visit with an intestinal blockage - she's ok now), and she actually took advantage of the hotel pool before bed. She was a comfort to me during the reception today. She's very social, and I'm proud of her ability to fit in so easily. She got into conversation with one of her step-cousins (MS's daughter), and got some insight into what the problem is with YS. Apparently it's not just me. There's tension between YS and ES as well.

Daughter left for home after the reception. Seems like a long drive for such a short visit, but she's young.

Oh, well. I'm tired, but I'm alive. I'll be able to sleep tonight. That's more than I thought I'd have after yesterday.
.

3 comments:

Kate said...

Whew! Congrats on surviving what sounds like a long, emotionally draining weekend. I hope you do something nice for yourself today.

I confess I had to google what a perambulator was... I have a baby shower coming up, I think I'll start using the term and confusing everyone.

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO DAD..U ARE A WONDERFUL DAUGHTER..ROBERTA

Chris said...

What a wonderful event for a special man!

My mother's Uncle Jimmy was still mowing his own lawn at 92! When I wrote that, I was thinking it was a good counter to "my so and so died at 94" etc.....

But then I realized, CRAP! If I still have to mow MY lawn at 92, I'm going to be pissed! ha ha