Friday, April 06, 2007

1196 Closed Doors

Friday, April 6, 2007
[Edit - fixed the date.]

Talking with Roman on the phone last night, I was telling him about the too-small house and how Daughter and Hercules need space between them sometimes, and he said, "Don't the rooms have doors?" Me, "Doors?" He, "You can go into a room and close the door."

I had an instant feeling of revulsion, which I did not express.

In my mind, there's an enormous difference between space between a couple, and a closed door between them. Space is respect. A closed door is rejection.

It seems to illustrate the difference between Roman and me.

Not to say he's wrong, or bad, it's just a different way of being, and I don't like it. I am pleased that the concept of closed doors doesn't come naturally to Daughter and Hercules.

Or me.

.

No comments: