Sunday, April 01, 2007

1192 Possibilities

Sunday, April 1, 2007
[4/6 Edit - fixed the date.]

Yesterday seemed to be a telephone day. Roman called on his way to LI. He was headed for a significant meeting, and was excited and nervous, and we talked for quite a long time. The signal kept dropping (as is usual when he calls from the road) and he kept redialing, but it was ok.

As soon as our call was finished, FirstWoman called, and we talked for quite a while. She needs more responsiveness from me. That's one of my problems - I don't reach out much. Part of it is a reluctance to annoy, part is inertia, part is that time passing is theoretical to me, and part is that - ick! - "they" changed my cel phone calling plan. I used to get 100 hours a month, now I get 100 minutes, same price. Gotta do something about that.... So, anyway, I don't make long distance calls before 9 pm. All not very good excuses. I guess that's why people forget me and wander away.

Then I went into the village, and saw Piper's car outside his office, so I stopped in to find out how his lady's surgery went. All good. They plan radiation, but not chemo, so I guess that's a good sign.

Later, Roman called on his way back from LI, and we talked a bunch more.

Speaking of keeping in touch, I had sent an email to a guy I met at the gathering in NJ, some information I had promised him. He sent an intriguing response. I replied to that email last night (after a two week pause), and next thing I know, I get a torrent of emails, and a phone call this morning, and I've invited him to join Daughter and Hercules and me for dinner tomorrow evening. Wow!

I find him interesting and stimulating. I think it may be reciprocal. I'm not sure what I want to do about that. He lives in NJ (about a half hour north of Daughter, about 2 hours from here). He's also much younger, probably at least 15 years from retirement. I don't think he realizes my age - he referred to "people our age".

It's funny, I am always quite open about my age, I'm rather proud of the fact that I look pretty darn good for my age, but if he ever asked, I'd be reluctant to tell him. Stupid, because it's going to be a bit hard to talk about experiences without giving it away. At the gathering, the original Woodstock concert came up, and he said he was only 9? 11? years old then, and his father wouldn't let him go. I was four or five years out of college then. Ack!

He's rather hedonistic, I think. Clubs. Rock concerts. Likes to start driving and see where he ends up (we're talking like, Canada). Likes to put the top down. He might tire me out. I suspect hikes in the woods and county fairs aren't his style.

But, so far I like him, and a little flirtation is fun. We'll see.

.

No comments: