Saturday, March 10, 2007

1155 Laptop Laments

Saturday, March 11, 2007

I like the touchpad, but I don't like the keyboard at all, especially the space bar, which requires pressing it below the level of the surround, which is already starting a callus on the side of my right thumb.

There's a potential problem with the touchpad - my nails grow very long very quickly, and the touchpad insists on skin, not nails. Either I'm going to have to trim my nails more often, or learn to arch my fingers funny.

After several days of no statistics, I gave up on SiteMeter, and just started a new account. The new one seems to be working, but oddly, it doesn't record my visits, even though I didn't turn that option off yet. Very strange.

I installed IrfanView. I don't know who's responsible, Internet Explorer or Windows Vista, but somebody wants to protect me too zealously, and I had to try three different sites before I was allowed to download the code. Annoying.

FireFox is next, later tonight. I can hardly wait.

Six free months of Earthlink (I'm still dialup, unfortunately) came with the system, so I planned to use that until I figured out what I want to move up to. The desktop has BiznessOnline, and I always thought that was slow and unreliable, but Earthlink seems much slower, and more unreliable. BiznessOnline drops the connection a few times a week. Earthlink drops it a few times an evening!

On the happier side, the browsers are solid, flash ads and fancy animation are no longer killing me. I haven't been able to do a search on eBay without hanging in almost two years. I can't wait to try it again.

Oops. Just tried Spellcheck, and got no response to clicking the button. Something's off.
.

1 comment:

Ally said...

sitemeter is off for me, too. they might be switching servers or something.

if you have a google account, you can look into google analytics. it's nifty. however, statcounter is probably a little better if you just want to record your visits.