Wednesday, December 06, 2006

1004 Nuttin' Much

Wednesday, December 6, 2006

Last evening it was 22 F outside. Today it was a little warmer, but the weather man says that a cold front is coming through, and the high will be in the low 20s for the rest of the week. Hibernation time, I think.

I was reading someone else's blog, an entry about home improvement. I've been living in this house for 12 years now, and I'm a little surprised that, except for getting the woods cleared of undergrowth, we/I have made almost no improvements.

Things we did do:
  1. Jay cut a hole in the laundry room wall for a dog flap, and built an 8'x8' deck with a ramp outside the flap, for the dogs. We had talked about a dog-house kind of foyer arrangement on the deck outside the flap to keep the wind from coming in the hole, but it never happened. Now I have no dogs, but I have a big hole in the wall that the wind comes in. I taped a cover over it.
  2. This spring I had the woods cleared of undergrowth.
  3. About eight years ago we replaced the heating part of the heat pump with an oil furnace.
  4. I had the roof reshingled this year.
And that's about it.

Things we talked about, but never did:
  1. Finish part of the basement for a fourth bedroom, workroom, and family room with woodstove.
  2. Put in a huge fancy whirlpool spa bathroom in the basement.
  3. Replace the deck (20' x 10', no access to ground) with a wider deck with an octagonal piece that wraps around the corner, and "pull up" stairs (to keep wildlife off the deck).
  4. Pop the attic roof and put in windows to recapture the view.
  5. A stone wall at the end of the driveway, to fill in the bank that's so hard to mow.
  6. Fence the backyard so the dogs can run.
  7. Organize the garage.
  8. Paint.
The painting is a real sore point. Every wall in the house is a dull off-white. When I first moved in, I remarked to Jay that it was next to impossible to wash the walls - the paint seemed "soft" somehow. I would love to paint it all in pink/rose/orange/yellow pastel shades of beige, sort of desert-adobe colors. The house was built to Jay and his ex-wife's specifications, and one day when I was going through the files, I found the builder's spec sheets. Under interior walls, it says "primer only - owner will paint". That's just primer on the walls! No wonder it won't wash!

But then I look around at all the furniture, all the things on and against the walls, all the bookcases full of books, the 12' ceilings, the open stairwell to the basement, and the thought of painting is overwhelming.

The carpeting is original, too. (Brown, throughout the house, except in the foyer, kitchen, and bathrooms.) It's 23 years old now. But it must be good carpet - it still looks ok. It would look better if I vacuumed more often.

Things I'd still like to do:
  1. I'd still like to put in the family room with woodstove and fancy spa bathroom downstairs.
  2. I'd like to paint all the walls.
  3. I'd like to put in a patio outside the basement doors, and replace the sliding glass door with french doors.
  4. I'd like to replace all the carpeting with hardwood flooring (if it's done at the same time as the painting, I'd have to move furniture only once).
  5. I'd like to replace all the chandeliers and ceiling lights.
  6. I'd like to put motion-detecting lights outside, on the porch and garage.
I doubt that much of it will actually happen. Not as long as I'm living here alone, anyway.

Things I'm going to have to do soon, like it or not:
  1. Replace the heat pump air conditioning.
  2. Resurface the driveway, and maybe add a loop.
  3. Replace the deck, but I won't get fancy.
  4. Have the siding washed and treated with anti-fungal stuff.
  5. Put in water softener/filtering system.
  6. Replace stove and dishwasher.
  7. Replace/clean out all the plumbing fixtures clogged and corroded by hard water deposits.
  8. Replace washing machine.
Not exactly improvement, more like just maintenance. But the cost of the above sort of eliminates anything fancier.

Why do I feel tired all of a sudden? Maybe Daughter and Hercules should rethink this home-buying idea of theirs. Don't buy your way into slavery! Rent!
.

8 comments:

Becs said...

Painting is easy, even if you've got a lot of junk - er, I mean, a collection of things against them. I fell into a family of passionate wall-painters and now I've got the fever.

But I know what you mean about the never-ending list of stuff that needs to get done.

Anonymous said...

I disagree about renting. Owning a home means you are putting money back into your own pocket every month. You get to keep that money in the end. If you're renting, and say your rent is $1500/month, you're giving someone else $18,000 a year to live in their house, when you could be owning that house and giving that money to yourself every month. Not to mention the tax break for interest paid on your mortgage every year. Renting, in my opinion, is NOT the better solution in the long run. You're a slave to someone else and you get nothing to show for your money in the end.

~~Silk said...

It costs me close to $18,000 a year now to live in this house, and there's no mortgage. The taxes alone are about $600 a month. Then there's insurance, landscaping and mowing, upkeep and replacement.... I guess I'm more sensitive to the cost this year because it was $12,000 to reshingle the roof (actually $10,000 because I got the discount), and I'm still reeling from that.

~~Silk said...

Oh, and as far as investment, none of that $18,000 is "invested" - it's paid out and gone. The investment would be the original purchase of the house, and frankly, I could do (and have done) better with stock.

Becs said...

$10,000 to reshingle the roof? Girl, what with? Jimmy Choos?

~~Silk said...

150 (I think) "squares" of 30-year "architectural" shingles, graduated shades of brown. Mid-high grade. Not as good as what had been on there. The old shingles were made to look like wood shingles, with varying thicknesses. The new ones are all the same thickness. I had set aside $6,000 for the roof, but shingles are hydro-carbon based, so as the cost of oil went up, so did the cost of roofing.

I'm half wondering what real cedar shingles would have cost.

Anonymous said...

In the end, you're maintained a good house that is either going to pay you back when you sell it or go to Daughter as your estate. I still say buying is a better option than renting, as I've done both now. Think of how much less the house would be worth without that $12,000 roof... But to each their own.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.