Thursday, October 12, 2006

923 Ah, Youth

Thursday, October 12, 2006

I found this photo today. It's me in 1994. I was 50 years old. I'm surprised at how much I've aged in only twelve years. Now I'm starting to think "facelift" again. (No, that's thinking about again. Not having again. I've never had a facelift, although I did have excess eyelid tissue removed in about 1991 or so.)

I'm annoyed with the Blogger technical folks. There's a "search" field up there in the header. If you put "Daughter" in that field, and click on "Search This Blog", you get only the latest three posts! Even if I use advanced search and specify a wide range of dates, I get only the latest three.

Considering that I use this blog as my external memory, this is a big problem. I want to be able to look for the history of complaints about the van, for example. Or the days I put in volunteer time. Or whatever. (Luckily, I copy entries to a script file, and I can search there, but it's still annoying.)

"Help" natters about feeds. It will return results only since you've been providing feeds. I do provide an RSS feed (otherwise Bloglines wouldn't find me), and have since the beginning, so that's not the problem. Also, it used to work! It used to return a full list of hits, all the way to the beginning.

I sent an email to blogsearch-support@google.com, and got back canned responses (two, to my one email) advising me to read the "Help". Apparently they didn't even read my email, wherein I said I am doing everything Help says I should, and have since the beginning.

So - anyone reading this who also uses Blogger - does search work for you on your blog? I've tried it on several, and I consistently get only three hits (well, except once when I searched one blog for the word "not", and got four hits. You KNOW there were more than that!) Maybe the magic number is not three entries, but one month? But then if it is a time limit, why do they offer an unlimited time span in the advanced search, and then ignore it?

Any suggestions?

Anyone willing to pick up the gauntlet and fight it out with the Google/Blogger folks?

4 comments:

Becs said...

I think you look friendlier now.

Ally said...

i don't think the blogger search function works very well. i've encounted the same problem. however, google.com works really well in bringing up posts. i use keywords like my screen name and what i'm searching for. i've hit every single one that i was especially looking for.

i like your photo.

Queen_Mum said...

Am I wrong or are those your same eyeglass frames?

~~Silk said...

Becs - the 62-year old me thanks you.

Ally - the 50-year-old me thanks you.

Queen_Mum - Nope, not the same frames, just the same general style. I prefer large roundish lenses, because then I can see all directions without having to move my head. Those particular frames were favorites. They made my nose look almost small. I wore them until the gilding wore completely off.