Tuesday, October 10, 2006

921 First Week

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Every year I am grateful when the first week of October passes with no personal disasters. Jay's back gave out completely in the first week of October. His head-on automobile accident was in the first week of October. Notice that he was being sued for that accident (three million!) came in the first week of the next October. His first seizure. The MRI that showed his first relapse. The first signs of loss of his left side. The start of the final infection. Every year, the first week of October, something awful happened. Yeah, awful things happened other times, too, but there was always something really bad the first week in October.

Since he's been gone, there have been five more Octobers. A few of them have had minor disasters (like last October, the beginning of the end with Roman, I just didn't know it at the time), but nothing I couldn't recover from. No total disasters.

That's good. Sigh of relief.

I don't know how long it will be before I can consider the first week of October as just another week.

3 comments:

Kate said...

Maybe you should start making October something to look forward to by scheduling a vacation every year.

~~Silk said...

I'm still a little afraid to travel during the "black week". I was very proud of myself for doing Pilot Log deliveries last week.

Becs said...

Small steps. It hasn't really been that long. I think you're doing very well, according to this report.

Mine's the first week of April. Disaster. Mayhem.