Wednesday, September 06, 2006

868 Reviews

Wednesday, September 6, 2006

[Later edit - fixed the "Rebecca" link.]

I sat down at the computer at 8 pm, and flipped on the TV. "Bones" was on. I'd never seen the show, but I'd heard that it was pretty good, so I left it on. It sure was "wowie gee", but it annoyed me because some of the stuff they were finding might be technically possible, but a) it was way too far-fetched, and b) I can't see any police department in the world actually doing that stuff.

For example, the victim had been stabbed while on the ground, and the knife went through and picked up some dirt, which was then embedded in the bones on the next stab. (Which I don't accept. It would have been scraped off on soft tissue on the upstroke, but ok, we'll let that one go.) They analyzed the dirt. Then, from the composition of the dirt, they were able to pinpoint the location of the murder to a spot near a creek in rural New Jersey. So close that they found the victim's clothing buried there. Note that it wasn't "she could have been murdered here, here, or here, and the analysis says here". Uh uh. They had no candidate spots, and found the spot directly from the soil composition.

Sorry, I cannot possibly buy that. Even if the soil composition were unique, it wouldn't get them to that exact spot unless there's a database somewhere containing the composition of the soil in every 100 sq ft plot on the east coast. Suspension of disbelief is ok. Flat out impossibility is not.

Then "Justice" came on. I lasted there only 15 minutes before I switched to "Scrubs". The "Justice" writing was bad, the acting was bad, and the cameraman was drunk. Or something. I was getting seasick from the wavering. Today's professional hand-held cameras have gyroscopic steadying mechanisms, so there's no excuse for it. If it's supposed to give you a "you are there" feeling, a) if you were standing there, you wouldn't be wavering, and b) you wouldn't be switching viewpoint every 1.5 seconds.

Sob. I want "Southern Exposure", and "Boston Legal", and ... other well done shows ... back.

------------------------------------------

Rebecca left a comment on my earlier post on financial fussing, about buying a suit at Marshall's. It reminded me how much I miss the "old" Marshall's around here.

There was a Marshall's across the street from The Company's Kingston plant. They well knew who their potential customers were, and they stocked accordingly. The sister of one of our secretaries was a buyer for that Marshall's, and when a new shipment of women's suits came in, the secretary would alert all of us.

They had beautiful stuff, designer suits that would sell for hundreds of dollars elsewhere. We snapped them up for $30 to $50 dollars (this was the '80s and '90s). A shipment would be gone within two days.

(Incidentally, on the pricing of clothing, note that even at $40, nobody lost any money on those sales.)

Since The Company closed their Kingston plant, that Marshall's is gone. I miss it. There's still one across from the Poughkeepsie plant, but The Company dress code has deteriorated, so either they're not stocking for that market any more, or I'm hitting it on the wrong days. They've still got some extraordinary stuff, but you have to shop harder to find it.

------------------------------------------

Bits and Pieces I Found Here and There:

From a online dating profile: "Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails."

I forget where I got this: "If the Islamists laid down their arms, there would be peace in the Middle East. If Israel laid down its arms, soon there would be no Jews, Christians, or any other 'infidels' left alive in the world."

Professor Hill, "The Music Man": "Oh, my dear little librarian, you pile up enough tomorrows, and you'll find you are left with nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays. I don't know about you, but I'd like to make today worth remembering."

No comments: