Monday, September 04, 2006

865 Monday Lunch With Gadget

Monday, September 04, 2006

I had lunch today with a new friend - I think I'll call him Gadget. He lives in Wappingers, which is pretty far away, but his business takes him all over the area. I was 20 minutes late, and I'm sure he thought he was being stood up. I'm grateful he waited.

Perhaps he was just happy to see me, perhaps he was relieved that I "met expectations", or maybe it's his normal mode, but next time I see him (assuming there is a next time) I'm going to have to be firm about where hands go and where they don't go. When you hug someone goodbye after a first meeting, you really shouldn't slide a hand down their back, over their waist and onto the top of the hips. Huh! I pulled away before he got to the bottom, if he was headed there. I was wearing an ankle-length sleeveless knit dress, rather loose and drapey. Maybe he wondered if what he saw hints of under the dress was real, and couldn't resist checking. (Or maybe he's used to a different class of woman. Yeah, that's it....)

On the other hand, he's smart and amusing and furry. About the right height and age. Owns his own business. Coincidentally, I think maybe his eyes are the same color as mine.

Well, we'll see what happens next.

Speaking of the right age, there's a 38 year-old guy in Schenectady who keeps hitting on me through one of the online sites (his photo is that of a very good-looking guy, and his profile text is amusing and slightly naughty without being off-putting). Today was the third time in the past four months. I don't know if he just broadcasts his mash notes hoping someone will bite, and he therefore doesn't remember that I've turned him down twice already, the second time with a wrist-slap, or whether he's looking for a mommy, or a sugar-mommy. But if the profile really represents him, then I don't understand why he doesn't want or can't find a girl closer to his own age.

I'll just ignore him this time. I hate to do that, but enough is enough.

Ok, now somebody is going to remind me about my theory of "how it ought to be", where old men pair with young women, and old women with young men. There are all kinds of advantages to that pairing, from financial to family planning to furthering careers, to sharing wisdom and life lessons and skills, to late life care, to ... lots more. Circles within circles. I think it's a pretty neat theory. Well, at 38, he's both 18 years too young for me and 18 years too old!

I always respond when someone contacts me, usually to say "Thank you, I'm flattered...blah blah ... too young/far/great difference in lifestyle/values/religion ... Good luck". The only other person I've ignored was a guy in Wappingers who got rather bitchy on about our fourth email exchange. I didn't know how to respond, so I kept putting off responding, and eventually decided that was probably the best course.

-----------------------------------------

I don't like to blog news, except as it affects me directly (this journal being ME ME ME!), but I do have to mention the death of Steve Irwin.

I saw the headlines three times this morning as I was wandering the net, and every time I thought "That can't be true. There has to be a mistake. Or it's a bad joke." Then driving to Poughkeepsie I heard the full story on the radio.

The man had dangerous playmates, but he always knew exactly what he was doing. It's so hard to believe he was killed by something so docile. It was absolutely a freak accident. Almost like there has to be some purpose to his death. "Crikey!"

I liked him because he was so boyishly enthusiastic, so obviously nice, and so very real.

If anyone wants to send a card or thought, his family zoo is:
AUSTRALIA ZOO
GLASS HOUSE MOUNTAINS TOURIST DRIVE
BEERWAH, QUEENSLAND 4519
AUSTRALIA

(Remember, a domestic 38 cent stamp won't work.)

No comments: