Wednesday, June 21, 2006

750 Mysteriouser and Mysteriouser

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Brilliant flash this morning. I don't have Caller-id, but I do have *69! And that "Silk En Drum" call was the last incoming on the house phone. So I tried *69. The call came from 1-800-503-7001, at 2:53 pm on June 20.

The phone company message said that I could reach that number by dialing "1", so I did, and got the message that "this number cannot be reached by this method".

So I dialed it myself.

I got a fast-busy signal. I shrugged and pressed the "Busy Redial" button on my phone. Normally, what happens is that the phone will redial the number on speakerphone every few minutes, listen for a few seconds, and if it's still busy (5 beeps worth), will hang up and try again. This time, on the first try, it dialed, got the same beeps I had gotten, but it didn't drop. Instead, the phone added its own higher beep, and hung on until an operator message about "all circuits are busy" came on. It never dropped the connection to retry. I had to break the connection myself. This is strange. It's not what Busy Redial usually does.

Since sometimes you can't call an 800 number if it's local, and my cell phone thinks it lives in a different area code, so while the house phone was doing its thing, I tried the number on the cell phone. The result was even stranger. The cell attempted the connection for exactly 3 seconds of silence, then dropped the attempt. Several times. No indication of anything.

Next, I went to Reversephonedirectory.com. I typed in only the 800 part, and Reversephonedirectory suggested the 503-7001 itself! Huh? So I said ok, search, and I got a blank search results screen. Not even a "can't find it". Several other searches, like in the internet toll-free directory, and others suggested by Dogpile.com got no hits.

Ok. Anybody out there recognise the number?

Anybody better at research than I?

Has my link list kicked off a secret gommunt investigation?

Should I get a big dog?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

duh. What happens when you use a calling card purchased at a mini mart? I'll tell you. Caller ID reads 800...
Similar may be possible with business line(s) perhaps. Fast tone is a non-connect, not a busy.
Daughter-n-future son

~~Silk said...

I know the fast tone is non-connect, but I have difficulty telling the difference. That's why I "shrugged and" tried the busy-redial.

Roman had suggested this evening that it might be something like his long distance service, where he dials a local number and tells it the number to call, and it goes through the internet. So he called my cell from his cell through the special number (even though we were standing right next to each other it was a long distance call), to show me that a strange number would show on my cell. To his surprise, his REAL cell number showed up anyway.

Herlock Sholmes said...

Could be an international call as well. Sometimes they are routed Via a substation without caller ID and just assume a generic, non useable number

Anonymous said...

I have received calls from that number as well to my ads placed in business journals around the country. Who knows?

Andy Grant
www.GrantFamilyOnline.com