Wednesday, June 21, 2006

749 The "Edited" Call

Late Tuesday evening, June 20, 2006

(10/24/2015 - I have edited out the operative word here because I may have a nasty stalker who knows me only by that id.  I would prefer he does not find this blog by Googling my id.)

There are only a very few local people who know this journal exists, perhaps five. Of those, I'm certain that two have long forgotten about it, even before it moved from AOL to Blogger. Of the remaining three, one never reads it, one occasionally reads, and one reads often, and those three are trusted friends. So I can safely say that of all the local people who know me personally, almost no one knows about this blog.

"EditedOut" is slightly better known. It has a legal existence, it's my id on several obscure specialized services, including the local Mensa group, on a few online auction services, and other online milieus. My alter ego, so to speak. If you Google "EditedOut", you'll find this journal. But there's no particular reason for anyone to want to search for "EditedOut" in the first place. (10/24/2015 - unless I piss them off.) And you will not find my phone number connected with it anywhere, with the sole possible exception of eBay, and then only if you've sold me something sometime in the past. I haven't been active on eBay in over a year.

So, how did "EditedOut" (pronounced by the caller in three careful pieces, like Ed-dedi-tout) get connected to my phone number this afternoon?

The local friend who does read this journal says she's on the edge of her seat, and finds the phone call I mentioned ominous. Yeah. It's bothering me, too. Phone calls seem to figure heavily in the development of issues lately.

Ok, what are the possibilities?

I mentioned a legal factor. The records are public, and it's possible someone has an interest in acquiring the name to use for a business, and it's possible that my phone number is on the records (but I don't think so). But there are two problems with that. First, the woman pronounced it as if she had heard it, but had not seen it written. Second, I doubt that anyone who wanted to acquire the name would have taken so long to speak, then have asked if I was Ed-dedi-tout and then hung up as soon as I said yes.

Another possibility: an eBay seller I had done business with is checking her records for old customers. Again, there's the pronunciation problem, an email would be more productive, and - there's no reason for her to hang up abruptly.

Perhaps it's a friend who already has my number, found this journal by accident, put two and two together, and decided to ask. Again, why hang up? And why the artificially high voice and the fake-sounding accent? Shouldn't there be some gloating?

It could be some reader of this journal, a relative stranger with extraordinary research talents, who set out to find me. That's a possibility. It's happened before to other people. But I doubt it. I don't think I've interested or offended anyone enough to earn that much effort. But if it WAS one of you, 'fess up in a comment. And if any of you would like to take up the challenge, send me my phone number in a comment. I review all comments before they're posted, so I'll just not post that one. But I'll mention it!

Daughter and (if I know her taste at all) her friends are too mature for that kind of "fun".

The last possibility is the worrisome one. That "she" found my phone number in Roman's land line phone bill or on his cell phone, and that he had somehow sometime mentioned EditedOut, and she put two and two together, and called to confirm that they went together. I asked him, and he says he has never mentioned EditedOut. But there are several things he has said to me that he later doesn't remember saying, or actively denies saying. The fact that she could, from the phone number, find my real name and address doesn't bother me.

This is ridiculous. Unbelievable even. Unbelievable if it weren't for the fact that I had contemplated a similar call to her. One small question and hang up.

For the next few weeks, I'm taping calls.

Now if it was her, and if she has any brains or curiosity at all, she could easily find this journal.

There's nothing here that isn't truth (as far as I know it). I can hold my head up. What worries me is that:
  • maybe she will find it, and it will blow Roman out of the water completely if he hasn't come completely clean with her, and he'll never forgive me.
  • maybe she will find it, but never let on to him, and hold onto him, but harden her heart against him. For years and years and years.
  • maybe she won't find it. Yet. Swords hanging by threads. Please, get it over with already!
I wish I had caller id.

I don't care. Let the cards fall.... Whatever happens is meant to happen.

See me continuing to write here? I dare fate!

5 comments:

Herlock Sholmes said...

Called ID is your best friend. $20 in any Radio Shack

Anonymous said...

One thing with caller ID is that if the person calling doesn't want to be identified, they can simply enter the "call restrict" code before making the call and you won't see their number. I'll not say what that code is here. It's easy enough to find out.

Kate said...

Wasn't me! Does Roman read your journal?

~~Silk said...

Roman knows about this journal, has occasionally read a particular entry when I've asked him to, but otherwise, no, he doesn't read it. At least he says he doesn't, and I believe him.

Kate said...

...probably a good thing.