Sunday, June 18, 2006

744 Bad Bad Substitute Magazine

I have a subscription to Budget Living magazine. It's chock full of ideas for living your life and decorating your home without spending a lot of money.

Yesterday, I received in the mail a copy of House Beautiful magazine, with a letter attached that says that Budget Living has ceased publication, so "special arrangements have been made" to fill out the remainder of my subscription with House Beautiful.

Duh?

Whatever possessed someone to deduce that a person who subscribes to a magazine that shows you how to beautify a $5 garage-sale table would therefore be interested in a magazine that presents 150 pages of thinly disguised ads for things like $2,250 "Moroccan inspired" 6x9 rugs? A package of 50 "calling cards" for $150? A magazine that salivates over interiors that "took 300 craftsmen 3 1/2 years to complete"?

What idiot was in charge of this arrangement?

Is it possible that Budget Living failed because they didn't understand their target audience?

4 comments:

Chris said...

They failed because they failed to maintain the operations under budget.... (ha ha)

Chris
My Blog

Herlock Sholmes said...

They failed because they made you pay to give you ways not to pay. Contradiction in terms

Kevin Surbaugh said...

I was stuck with Good Housekeeping...I will be writing and demanding my refund as perscribed in the letter.


DebtFree4ever.net

Blonde Justice said...

I got House Beautiful too. I don't understand it either.

I wrote and asked them for "Weekend" magazine instead. We'll see if I get it.