Tuesday, January 17, 2006

#529 Fussing and Fuming

A line from #526, Sunday evening: "He'll call or email me tomorrow night late to tell me how it went."

He didn't.

I couldn't sleep, and was up until 4 am waiting for the phone to ring, checking email every so often. I don't know whether to be worried or angry. If the surgery was postponed again, or if everything went well, it may be that stupid male attitude that "there's nothing to report, so why report it", in which case I am very annoyed with him. But it's also possible he spent the afternoon and night sitting in a chair in an ICU. Or worse, that he's alerting family and making funeral arrangements (the Jewish 24-hour thing), in which case contacting me would be rock bottom on his priority list.

I have never met her and likely never will. She's an abstraction to me, and not a very clear one since he has spoken of her only in the context of someone he visits. But she's his mother, and since he is important to me, she is important. I can send positive thoughts her way, but my worry is for him.

--------------------------------------------

AOL, where I get my email, was fine when I logged out and shut the system down last night. This morning, when I tried to start AOL (I tried twice), I got an error message saying that AOL could not be started, and that I should reinstall from the AOL disk. What disk? I haven't the faintest idea where it might be. This is serious!

It's definitely the code on my system that's messed up (although it could have been messed up by an automatic AOL update download last night). I can still get to my email by going to www.aol.com through Netscape, but I can't store or retrieve anything in AOL folders on my system.

I don't know what to do about it.

No comments: