Sunday, January 15, 2006

#526 Busy Day

I finished the laundry today, and got those silly satin sheets OFF the bed. The top and bottom sheets went directly into the garbage, but I'll keep the pillowcases. My hair likes them.

While I was remaking the bed, it occurred to me that the bed was the largest clear flat space I had, so I put the new CD cabinet together on it. It went pretty well, looks nice. The directions weren't all that great, but once I figured out which end of each piece was up, it was easy to wing it. Of the 202 pieces provided, I have only 10 screws and 2 dowels left over. I think that's pretty good.

Then I moved all my CDs into it, and rediscovered a few I'd forgotten I had. They're in the player right now.

While I was putting the second door on the CD cabinet the phone rang, and it was Roman calling from his mother's hospital room. It turns out that he had called last night, and left a long message on my tape. As a matter of fact, he'd called as I was writing journal entry #524! I said no, I hadn't heard the phone ring, and the machine said there were no messages.

We talked for a while. (Damn, I like talking with him.) His mother wasn't ready for surgery on Friday, so it is now scheduled for tomorrow morning. He'll call or email me tomorrow night late to tell me how it went.

So then I went to the phone tape to see if there indeed was a message, and, yes, there was!, even though the count still said zero! A very long message. Recorded last night as I sat here typing. It took me only a minute to figure out what had happened.

Wind. Scary wind. Put music on, loud to drown out wind and distract mind.
Electricity bounces. I rerecord outgoing message, reset time and date, etc. on phone, but
forget to reset number of rings before it picks up. Default is two rings.
Sit in den, at computer, other end of house from kitchen phone.
Den phone doesn't have a ringer.
Bed phone, across the hall, has slipped (darn satin sheets!) under a pillow.
I am writing the journal entry - the one that complains that he didn't call.
He calls, I don't hear the two rings from kitchen phone or closer bed phone over loud music.
His voice blends into music.
He finishes message, machine now says one message.
Electricity bounces again.
Phone now says zero messages.
I reset phone and clocks and go to bed worried and annoyed because he hadn't called.
Sigh.

You know, I'm getting more attention from him now while we're "on a break" than I did even back in the beginning when things were so good.

I don't understand.

No comments: