Sunday, November 27, 2005

#453 Another Tribute to Jay

I found the following in my email on my return from Pa. I'm still getting occasional notes like this, and I appreciate them all. Thought I'd share it. I thought this one was remarkable because apparently they were acquainted in middle school, but not so much beyond. Jay would be surprised at the number of people who remembered and appreciated him enough to send me notes. He seemed to think he had no friends in school.
~~Silk



My name is [Name Deleted]. I knew your late husband in Middle School (Iroquois). In fact, he came over to my house on [Street Name Deleted] Road several times for what would now be called "play dates". I wouldn't say we were close friends. However, he was one of my circle of friends from that era. I'm sure he would have remembered me. I read your note about Jay's passing in the IHS 1970 guest book.

I'm so sorry to read that Jay is no longer with us. I knew Jay because he was in my "core" classes in 5th and 6th grade. Iroquois segregated students on the basis of tested IQ into six ability groups. Jay was in Group One, and was generally considered by us mere mortals to be the brightest kid in the class, perhaps the brightest in the entire school. I remember competing against Jay in the 7th grade Science Fair. My Crystal Radio didn't stand a chance against Jay's Liquid Chromatograph (he won first prize). Jay always wanted to be a scientist. I think his Dad was an engineer, as were many of my classmates' fathers in Kodak-oriented West Irondequoit.

Thanks for publishing your moving tribute to Jay. I remember him as a decent and kind young man, who would laugh at your jokes and want to be your pal.

Best regards,
[Name Deleted]
[Town Deleted], CT

No comments: