Monday, June 27, 2016

5071 Losing it

Monday, June 27, 2016

"God created Man in his own image and Man, being a generous sort, returned the favor."
-- Mark Twain --

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In a comment on an earlier post, I wrote, in regard to mastectomy: "Daughter told me that losing them entirely will break my grandbaby's heart. "Huh?" Daughter doesn't even fill an A cup, and Nugget (5 years old) finds snuggling into Gramma's soft chest pillows very comforting."

That brought an old memory vividly to mind.

My grandmother was, no other way to say it, fat.  She was almost perfectly round from her shoulders to her knees, with big doughy arms.  She was no more than 4' 7" tall.

I forget how old I was at the time, still a child, anyway (but maybe into middle school?) when we went to visit her again.  We'd been living pretty far from Scranton and I hadn't seen her since the previous summer. 

She was skinny!  She was all flat all over!  There was nothing left of her! 

Mom said Gramma had been diagnosed with diabetes, so she had to lose weight, but that didn't mean anything to me.

I completely freaked.  It took me a very long time to come to terms with that.  I kept wailing, "Grammas are SUPPOSED to be fat!"

See, the way I saw it then, other fat people might take more than their share, but when a Gramma was fat, that meant she had more to give.  I was afraid Gramma couldn't love me so much anymore.

You know, I wonder if that has anything to do with the fact that I've gained a good 30 pounds since Nugget was born, and it hasn't bothered me at all?  Now I'm a Gramma.  Grammas are SUPPOSED to be fat!
.

No comments: