Friday, April 04, 2014

3834 Public Transportation?

Friday, April 4, 2014

There's a Mensa dinner next week just south of here.  It would take me 21 minutes to drive to it.

Being a good citizen, I wondered if it would be possible to take a train or bus to it. Once it warms up around here, the highways get clogged with stop-and-go frustrating "shore traffic", so it might be a useful idea anyway to check out the buses.  So I asked Google maps.

Well, yes.  I can get there by bus.  Sort of.

First I walk a mile, and catch a bus that will take me north several miles, where I transfer to a different bus that goes back south.  Then, halfway to the restaurant, I transfer to a third bus for the remainder of the trip, then walk several blocks.  Total time, 2 hours and 20 minutes.

Or, I can walk it in 5 hours and 13 minutes.

And we wonder why everyone needs a car and drives everywhere.

Sheesh.
.

1 comment:

little red said...

Its the same thing here with the buses. From here, you cant just get a bus to the next town over. You have to take a bus 10 miles south and catch another bus that will then take you north and west to the town 5 minutes west of here. It makes no sense and I dont understand. Waste gas much? Inefficiencies of municipal services make me crazy!