Wednesday, November 13, 2013

3796 I am just unreasonable, I guess

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Well, we're coming up on the fiftieth anniversary of the JFK assassination, and there are all kinds of shows and articles now on JFK.

The worship and adulation annoy me.

I'll tell you a secret.

Well, first I need to point out that I very rarely hate anyone.  There are people that annoy me, people who stress me, people that I do feel anger toward, people whom I don't want to deal with, but I can't say I hate.  I tend to play devil's advocate a lot.  I try to understand where they're coming from, why they are as they are.  Live and let live kind of thing.  I don't like them, maybe I even actively dislike them, but I don't hate them.

The only living person I can say I truly hate is Dick Cheney.   In my opinion, that man is pure evil, and the evil goes back a long long time.  There are many many reasons for my hate.  It's absolutely defensible.  There is no redeeming or excusing him.

The only other person alive during my lifetime that I can say I have hated is JFK.

I have no idea why.  I really don't.

From the very first time I saw JFK on TV, I hated him.  He struck me as fake, privileged, conceited, entitled, blah blah blah, whatever. It used to drive me crazy when other women swooned over "how handsome" he was.  I never "got" that.  I found him to be actively wimpy, even ugly. His hairstyle verged on the jellyroll favored by the local hoods.   His eyes were too close together and seemed dead to me.  Worse, his marriage seemed fake, a marriage of social and political expediency on both sides.  There didn't seem to be any love there.  It seemed like everything about him was an act.

Ok, that's enough to dislike him, but my feelings went beyond dislike.  For me it spilled over into active hate.  I hated him. Still do. 

Now, of course, I can point to various revelations and say, "See? I was right."  But that's hindsight, might rise to the level of dislike, not hate, and can't be used to justify my initial hate.  And you can point to all the wonderful things accomplished, but they're not enough to change my feelings. 

I don't understand.  I don't know why I would put Dick Cheney and JFK on the same level, but I do.

(Oddly, his brothers had many of the same characteristics, but I didn't even dislike, let alone hate, them.  They were sort of ok, even though they used to dragoon high school girls for ski lodge parties.  Yeah, I have personal knowledge of that.  Somewhere in the distant past in this blog I talked about that.)
.

No comments: