Monday, October 29, 2012

3653-1 Sandy, 9:55 AM Monday

Monday, October 29, 2012

If I have not seen as far as others,
it is only because giants have been standing on my shoulders.

----------------------------------------

I don't understand.  I doubt I ever will.

The eye is now projected to pass about 80 miles south of here late this evening.  On TV I'm seeing wind, waves, and sea-surge flooding in NYC, north of here, and really bad stuff south, around the tip of NJ.  The air is full of water.

Here?  Nothing.  There's some high wind tossing the tops of taller trees, but not more than normal with any summer storm.  I'm sure it will rapidly get worse, but I'm surprised to see so much going on already north and south, but nothing here.

Yet.

-----------------------------------

Garbage collection for today has been cancelled.  As predicted, the folks across the street have their garbage out for collection.  Two large garbage cans, without lids.

Idiots.

A few people have wondered whether they'd have to take this or that in.  People seem to think heavy patio furniture and grills would be safe to leave out, unsecured.

My advice:  Imagine putting it on the hood of your car and then driving 60 mph.  Same thing.

--------------------------------------

If you are ever advised to store water by filling the bathtub, forget it.  Few bathtubs will hold water for more than a day.  Having lived in an area where everyone has wells, so no electricity means no water, I know how to store it.

Cardboard boxes and garbage bags.  Put the boxes in the bathtub, line them with sturdy plastic bags, then fill them.
.

1 comment:

Becs said...

Brilliant idea on the water storage.