Saturday, August 04, 2012

3588 Jasper still thinks it's Sunday.

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Consumotherapy - buying something because it makes you feel good.

--------------------------------------------------------

Something I don't understand about the Olympics - I thought all the athletes and teams were supposed to be "amateurs".  Yeah, I know there's government support and sponsorships and so on.  There has to be because they have to practice so much and that takes time and money.  But isn't there a line somewhere?  The US basketball team is all professional players.  I mean multimillionaire players from professional NBA teams.  How can they be considered in any way amateurs?  How are they in the Olympics?  Why don't they just have a World Series of basketball instead?  That's what it is....

--------------------------------

I have two layers of long heavy fringe hanging in the arch between the living room and the kitchen.  It had been on spring tension rods, but eventually the rods started sagging, and when the Nugget goes through sometimes she gets a wee bit tangled and pulls one or both down.  Jasper occasionally attacks them, too.

So I bought some brackets and two lengths of PVC pipe.

The PVC started sagging, so I bought some wood dowel and fed that into the pipes to strengthen them.

They still sagged.  That fringe is heavy!

I decided to buy a small diameter metal pipe, like for plumbing, or gas lines.  That won't sag!

Wow!  Have you priced pipe lately?  It's like $13 or more per FOOT!  Holy cow!   Why?!

I ended up with big fat wooden doweling, like would be used for regular DIY curtain rods.  Not what I wanted, but it seems to be holding up ok so far.

--------------------------------

The township collects garbage twice a week here, Mondays and Thursdays.  It's paid from taxes and there doesn't seem to be any limit on how much you can put out.  I put out one small kitchen bag half full.  They collect recycling twice a month, first and third Wednesdays.  I put out 2 tall kitchen trash cans full every recycle collection. 

My production is just the opposite of what they seem to expect.  I have four times as much recycling as garbage.  Two weeks of trash paper and cardboard will bury me alive.  I think that may be the norm around here, since I see people putting recycle stuff out on garbage days.  When whatever container they're using is full, it goes out.  Most people don't have enough room to store that much recyclable stuff.

I wonder if the township is aware of the relative amounts, and that people who would like to recycle are forced to put recyclables out on garbage day?  I wonder if they care?  The township recycle center is just up the road from me, between me and the grocery store, and they're open every day until 3 pm, so when the paper and cardboard gets overwhelming, I just drop a load off there.  People who have jobs can't do that.

(No, I am not going to volunteer to do neighborhood recycle center runs.)

--------------------------------

I once knew a country bar in the Gettysburg, Pa. area with a hunting theme, that labelled the restrooms "Setters" and "Pointers", along with a picture of the dog breed.  Do you know that there were people (like my friend Jeannie) who couldn't figure out which door was theirs?  Jeannie said she couldn't tell by looking at the picture whether it was a girl dog or a boy dog.

I liked her anyway.
.

4 comments:

Becs said...

Too frequently, the county recycling truck will leave behind indignant orange stickers on something that is, indeed recyclable. I usually give up and put it in a black plastic bag to go out with the next load of garbage.

~~Silk said...

I am trying but failing to imagine something recyclable that's large enough to be left with a sticker on it (mental image of a 1-qt plastic takeout container sitting forlorn on the curb). Can you give me an example?

Well, maybe something like a dead toaster or computer printer, but they obviously can't be crushed into a mixed recycle load. They have to be handled separately. That's what the recycle center is for.

?

Becs said...

Ah. For example during "leaf season", even if you use the brown leaf bags, if they aren't folded down properly, you get the Orange Sticker of Denial. You also get it if any cardboard you had out was not folded into properly measured dimension.

I once put the perfectly recyclable cat litter buckets into the recycle bin, only to find them flung onto the yard, with the sticker on them.

rockygrace said...

I wondered about the basketball players, too, so I did a leetle googling.

"In 1988, the U.S. lost to the Soviet Union in the Olympic semifinal game in Seoul, South Korea, and had to settle for the bronze medal. About eight months later, the rules were changed and NBA players became eligible to play in international competition. So the assumption by a large segment of the media was that American basketball officials were angered by the loss, and thus decided to declare NBA players eligible so the U.S. could reclaim its rightful spot as the best basketball country in the world.

That would seem to make sense - except that it is not true. When the U.S. team with college players lost in 1988, the only players who could not participate in international competition were NBA players. Brazil's brilliant scoring machine Oscar Schmidt was playing in Italy and earning a salary in the $500,000 per year range at the time. So were many others.

To FIBA Secretary-General Boris Stankovic, the head of the organization that governs international basketball, that did not seem fair. So he decided a change was needed and he led the movement to change the rules."

Pro compete in other Olympic sports, too - look at tennis.

Oops, took over your comments again ...