Tuesday, February 28, 2012

3475 Flying

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

A guest for a while sees a mile.
-- Jewish Proverb --

--------------------------------------------------------------

You know how you don't hear about something for ages, and then all of a sudden you're exposed to it a half dozen times in two days, from wildly different directions? Sorta like deaths happen in threes, I guess. Anyway, a strange topic that's cropped up many places in the past few days is flatulence on airplanes, and how (although nobody ever admits THEY do it) awful and inconsiderate it is?

Oh, come on! It's not like people do it on purpose! It's the change in air pressure. Even the most delicate people who would otherwise considerately hold it can't hold it on planes. (TMI confession - I can't release gas unless I'm standing. I simply can't do it sitting, not even by tipping to one side. So every time I fly I'm in pain until we descend and the pressure evens up.)

Sheesh. A little compassion, folks.

And I don't believe that you complainers don't do it. Maybe you just think yours don't stink.

These are the same people who hate crying babies on planes. The air pressure change makes their little ears hurt and they don't know how to clear it. Compassion and understanding, please. You are hearing a baby in great pain! The parents have no control over that.

If the airlines did a better job of equalizing air pressure, both problems would go away.

We all ARE allowed to hate the idiot in front of us who reclines his seat, and the idiot behind us who kicks our seat, and the bastard who hogs the armrest and keeps shoving his elbow in our ribs. Now that, they CAN help.
.

3 comments:

Zayrina said...

If babies are in great pain on a plane, why would any responsible parent take a baby on a plane? It's like sticking their hands in hot water, which causes great pain.
They should be taken away as abused children and placed with someone less cruel.

~~Silk said...

I agree. When Daughter was about 5 months old, husband was transferred, and we had to go to Washington DC from St. Louis, on a week-long house-hunting trip. Daughter had a slight cold, and I flatly refused to fly with her. We took an overnight train, had a real sleeper compartment with fold-out bunks and a full bathroom and everything. It was wonderful! I highly recommend the train for anyone traveling with a baby, even over driving (where the kid is strapped into a car seat for hours at a time).

Becs said...

When I lived in Florida and my fear of flying was at its most intense, I always took the train to Richmond. I got a private compartment and it was wonderful.

And although what caused me to travel was usually a family member's health crisis, the time between learning the news and arriving in Richmond was spent just looking out the window, watching another world go by.