Monday, January 09, 2012

3442 Mousies?

Monday, January 9, 2012

"An education isn't how much you have committed to memory,
or even how much you know. It's being able to differentiate between
what you do know and what you don't."
-- Anatole France --

------------------------------------------------------





I found the above whilst wandering around the ether. Both sites credited where they got them, and I followed the links, and followed the next crediting link, and the next, and so on, so deep that I gave up. Tineye will give me a list of all the places they appear, but again, where's the original source? The moral: if you originate something, watermark it across the middle. Otherwise you'll lose it to the world. Also, if when everybody copied something they credited the originator instead of the last place they found it, then that link would travel with the item and always be known.

It seems so simple....

--------------------------------

This is Tim Wise, and "The Pathology of White Privilege". It's an hour long, but well worth the time. Bookmark it or something, and then the next time you're thinking about watching a movie, or turning the radio on, listen to this instead. Yeah, listen. There are no visuals beyond him talking, so you can listen while your hands and eyes are busy with something else. He starts out with race, but it expands to our relationship with the rest of the world.


[http://youtu.be/Y2mjvFNOwmc]

-------------------------------

I bought Jasper an undercover mouse. He's very timid, so I left it on the floor without turning it on for a few days so he'd get used to it. When I did turn it on, he was fascinated by it. He crouched 18 inches from it and stared at it, eyes big, ears up, tail twitching.

And that's pretty much it. Eighteen inches, and watches it.

At the old house, we got field mice, and I could tell when one was in the house because Jasper would be "on point", staring under a bookcase or behind a door. I'd say, "Mousie, Jasper?", and he'd always look up and answer "Mew mew!" A different meow from the many voices he has for specific situations.

When he was staring at the undercover mouse, I said, "Mousie, Jasper? Get the mousie!" He looked up and said "Mew mew!" Several times.

So I'm pretty sure he knows what the rig is for, but I think because it makes a whirring noise, he's just too timid to go after it.

Lasers don't make noise.
.

3 comments:

rockygrace said...

None of my cats/fosters has ever been able to resist the Undercover Mouse - my current fosters got so violent with one that they actually broke it.

I think Jasper is exercising great restraint.

Becs said...

I would fear for my toes under the comforter after a rousing game of chase the mousie.

~~Silk said...

Much later: The link to the video is of course broken, but if you go to Youtube and search for Tim Wise "The Pathology of White Privilege" you'll find it. Do. It's worth it.