Tuesday, August 31, 2010

3069 Photos from last week - fair and falls

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.
Teach a man to create an artificial shortage of fish and he will eat steak."
-- Jay Leno --

---------------------------------------------

I went to the county fair last Thursday - just a short visit - because I didn't really have time, but I knew I'd regret it if I didn't get my French fries with malt vinegar, which taste right only at a county fair.

I usually go through all the barns, all the way from the fancy fowl and rabbits through the pigs, cows, goats, and sheep to the horses at the other end of the grounds. All the handicrafts, 4-H displays, and floral competitions. The midway and the concessions.

This time I went only halfway across the grounds, and visited only one barn. But I did get my French fries, and some really good pork barbecue.

This guy was carving sand:It's a good thing it didn't rain.

I tried to get a picture of a Jersey cow's face. They have beautiful faces, and they were looking over the fence, but every time I brought the camera up, they'd duck down behind the rails. I suspect that they'd been blinded so many times by flashes, they'd become camera shy. I wish people would learn that you never use a flash right into an animal's eyes.This truck was interesting. I stuck my head in the front end and counted, then in the back end and counted, and remembered that a hole probably just meant a shorter log - then I wondered what the #$%^ I'd do with the fool things if I accidentally won them.
I naively thought that Thursday would be relatively uncrowded. It wasn't. It was elbow to elbow people. If Thursday afternoon was like this, I'm glad I couldn't go Saturday (the Urban Race day) as originally planned.

--------------------------------

Back on Saturday the 21st I had gone with a Mensa group to Bushkill Falls. One of the other guys has a much better camera, and he took a lot of photos, so I didn't - but I'm still waiting for him to put his shots up. So here's a small taste of mine.

One guy and I took the red route. The rest of the group took the yellow. Click to enlarge and read the descriptions.The cut:
One of the falls. Note the people on the platform up to the right of the top. It was all staircases up and down, and we took every step up and down, for the length of the cut.
.

No comments: