Sunday, December 13, 2009

2698 Random quotes

Sunday, December 13, 2009

Don't worry about people stealing your idea.
If it's original, you'll have to ram it down their throats.
-- Howard Aiken --

-------------------------------------

People have remarked that the green quote starting every post is "supposed to be random", but for a while there, they seemed to have eerie application to the posts.

Well, they are random. Really. I have a document full of quotes I'd gathered over the years, and every so often I create 15 or 20 draft posts, containing only the sequence number in the title, and the quote copied and pasted in order from the document. Then as I am moved to post something, I just open the next draft, fill in the title and text, and post it.

The only time it's not strictly random is when I notice that the quote does come uncomfortably close to applying to the post topic, and then I might select a different draft and change the sequence numbers. That's rare.

----------------------------

I lied earlier today. I said I wasn't going to visit Daughter. Actually, I intended to, but I didn't want her to know, and she might have read here, so I lied. My intent was to just show up at 5 pm with take-out Thai or Chinese food. That way, if she didn't know I was coming, she wouldn't fuss about cleaning up, or making up a bed for me, or providing dinner, and she'd get some needed rest.

So at 2 pm, my planned departure time, I opened the front door, and swore loud enough to scare Jasper. There was 2 inches of slush out there, with freezing rain falling. Where the heck did that come from!?

So I didn't go.
.

No comments: