Monday, August 10, 2009

2540 Photos from around the village

Monday, August 10, 2009

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
(When all else fails, play dead.)


----------------------------

Photos from some recent walks.

A squirrel on the fence around the village parking lot. He'd been lying there stretched out with all four legs hanging straight down, and his chin on the boards. He tensed up when he saw me watching him, but until then he was the epitome of laziness.

I liked the way the roots of this tree looked like lava pouring over the sidewalk.

This is a tree root bulging out of the ground, and full of water and grass clippings in the hollow. When the TV weatherman reminds people to dump standing water to keep mosquitoes down, I think of this. Yeah, we've had a lot of rain.
I fell in love with these whatever-they-ares in the lot of a business. Three clumps of some kind of grass-like plant. Not bamboo, though. They are over six feet tall. I'd love to have a clump on either side of the bottom of my driveway.
Closer, this is what they looked like at the base:
Anyone know what this purple flower is? I like it.
I like this stuff, too.
End of walk.
.

2 comments:

Wondering Woman said...

I believe the flower is Stokes Aster.

Becs said...

Dunno about the grass. There is, I think, actually bamboo grass. I think it's too far up north for what I think the purple flower might be - it looks a lot like a passion flower. They grow wild in Florida. The silvery stuff may be a variety of Dusty Miller...?