Thursday, August 06, 2009

2533 So good to be bad

Thursday, August 06, 2009

Bertrand Russell: “A stupid man’s report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.”
-----------------------

I was bad today. Since 6/17 I have been very good about the diet, and even better since starting the Nutrisystem. I really truly have not cheated.

You're supposed to add bread, or milk, or vegetables, or fruit to the packaged meals, and as between-meal snacks. I haven't added much bread (110 calories per slice!) or milk, but I've been getting lots of veggies and fruit, and absolutely nothing fried.

Today temptation struck.

I LOVE fried green tomatoes.

I haven't had them in years because you can't easily get green tomatoes unless you grow them or know someone who does. There used to be a farm down the road where the kid running the farm stand would pick some for me, but they went commercial years ago. No more roadside stand.

Now there's a new farm stand just outside the village, where I turn around on my walks. They DO sell green tomatoes because the Hispanic people buy them. So during the second half of my walk yesterday I was carrying a few pounds of green tomatoes.

I used to coat them with egg and crumbs or corn starch, but that soaks up the frying oil. Today, to be a little bit good, I didn't coat them and I fried them on a thin film of olive oil.

They were even better uncoated! They were wonderful, with a little splash of low-sodium soy sauce.
Bad is so good.
.

4 comments:

Sheryl said...

Mmmm. They look soo god. I love them too!

Sheryl said...

Crap. I spelled good wrong!

~~Silk said...

Freudian slip. You were really thinking that God would forgive me.

Becs said...

I love me some frahd greeyun tahmayters. I kin say thet cus Ah frum the Say-outh.

My grandma used to make the best in the world. She used cornmeal to coat them.