Monday, February 16, 2009

2270 Why a Surgeon?

Monday, February 16, 2009

I didn't understand why, since the mammogram and the ultrasound were clear, I still had to see a surgeon. So today I stopped in at the GP's office and asked.

It's because we need to rule out Inflammatory breast cancer, which is a very rare but especially nasty variety that doesn't form lumps and doesn't show up on mammograms or ultrasounds. When found, it's automatically stage IIIb or IV.

Ok, so let's go rule it out.

I'd never heard of it before. Follow the link, look up the symptoms, and spread the word.

The only symptom I have is what appeared to be a brief infection in a duct. So either I don't have it, or we're catching it early. The miserable survival rate is because it usually isn't recognized until it's too late.
.

1 comment:

the queen said...

Well, we can't have that. Rule that thing out.