Friday, February 13, 2009

2267 In the Desert

Friday, February 13, 2009

Met with The Man last night, at the halfway point. Dinner, karaoke, TV, etc. He didn't have to be at work until 11 am, so we had a relatively relaxed morning. He left at 9:45ish, which should have been in good time for the drive. I potted around a bit and left at 10:30, and while I was still in the parking lot my phone rang. He was sitting in a traffic jam on the NYS Thruway, no more than 15 minutes away. Overturned SUV ahead. Poor guy. Relaxation was shortlived.

I got home and discovered that I have no water. I think the well pump died, or maybe the pressure tank has blown. The circuit breaker is fine, so it's not a simple fix. I'll have to get a plumber in. Somehow I decided today was Saturday, so I didn't call anyone. Phooey.

I bought a few jugs of water to drink, and to flush, and to heat on the stove for a sponge bath in the shower stall. It works. That's what we do around here when the power is out for a few days. In the past I've even melted snow for washing and for the beasties.

Tomorrow I'll be volunteering at a tax clinic again.
.

3 comments:

Donna in Alabama said...

When I had a top pump, I had trouble with it staying primed all the time. I put a submergable one in about 10 years ago and have not had a single episode of trouble since.

Sydney said...

My husband has a cabin in the mountains and we have no electricity and no running water. We fill gallon jugs at the pond to boil for all the same, and have also melted snow. I learned something I never knew -- that you can have a giant mound of snow and when it melts it will equal about an ounce of water.

~~Silk said...

My pump is submerged - in the middle of the front yard, in the snow, beyond the frozen banks of snow. They use a crane on the back of a truck to pull the pipe sections. If it IS the pump, I don't know if they'd be able to get the truck in there to pull it until probably May (after mud season).

The average ratio of snow to water is 10 inches to 1 inch.