Sunday, December 28, 2008

2185 Pushing Daisies

Sunday, December 28, 2008

Kate is also unhappy that Pushing Daisies won't be back after this season. (See the "won't be back" link for a synopsis of the show premise.) I'm happy to know that someone else liked it!

I can't say the show is great. The stories are thin and repetitious, the music and narration can be annoying, but visually it satisfied something deep within me.

The colors are bright, saturated, and visually interesting. It's circles within circles. The pies, the windows in the pie shop, the gate at the sisters' house, the huge hats, bowls, even Olive's name, face, "frontage", and hair - it's all circles. Sometimes I ignore the story and just look for more circles.


The stories may be thin, but the characters are fun. I mean, how can a show with Kristin Chenoweth and a nutsy Swoosie Kurtz in a jeweled eye patch not be entertaining?

Even though it was nominated for twelve Emmys the first season, ABC seemed to have forgotten about it. The second season (after a hiatus caused by the writers' strike) got no advertising, was moved around from evening to evening so I kept losing it, and consequently the viewers weren't there. It almost looked like someone said "Let's kill it."

Kristin Chenowith has been turning up on talk shows - her agent's selling her hard - and I've noticed that when they talk about everything she's done and been in, they never mention "Pushing Daisies".

Sad. I am reminded of "Picket Fences". Another good show that died of neglect.
.

1 comment:

Kate said...

AG can't stand the show, but I love all the costumes and sets. I think it's a very creative show, almost child-like except for the whole following a murder case thing. Very different from all of the other dramas and cop shows on that cram in as much sex/violence as possible. I was just surprised to hear that it's canceled because I too remember all the hype about it last year.