Friday, October 17, 2008

2074 Body Shaper

Friday, October 17, 2008

You know those body shapers you see advertised on TV? We used to call them "foundations", or "girdles". They're now much lighter in weight, and much more expensive. I wanted to try one anyway.

I found some on eBay, and with judicious sniping, I managed to get four different types for the price of one. Figured I'd find out what style I like best.

According to the size charts, I wear a size medium, or B, so that's what I ordered. There's no return unless they send the wrong thing, so I had examined the size charts (height and weight) carefully.

Well, I screwed up on one of them, and ordered a size XL. Oops.

That was the first one to arrived, last Wednesday. It's a two-piece type, a top and bottom.

Because it's a bit big, it didn't do much to smooth out those bulges I have in the back, between the bra band and waistband. In fact, the waistband on the bottom was so tight it made the bulge above the waistband worse. The bottom didn't do much to smooth those lumps on either side at the top of my thighs, either.

And yet, the bottom was so tight and restrictive across my middle that I had to take it off after only three hours. It was making my stomach hurt, and the waistband cut into my waistline.

That was the XL. Uh-oh.

A medium Loba and a size B Spanx arrived today, both one-piece high-waist and long thigh. The Loba (from Brazil, no English in or on the package) is as thick and heavy as a '50s girdle, and no wider than a double palm-width. My stomach hurts just looking at it. The Spanx looks and feels lighter, but it has a heavy band that goes under the bust, and just holding it up to me I suspect it will be so tight I won't be able to breathe.

Not a good feeling to be so out of shape a girdle doesn't work.
.

2 comments:

Chris said...

I'd offer my experience with girdles, but that experience is limited to sneaking peaks in the Sears catalog when I was a kid.

Becs said...

A saleswoman at Nordstrom threw all kinds of Spanx packages at me. I bought them and they have resided in my unders drawer for the past three years. Gah.