Sunday, August 17, 2008

1960 Olympic Fencing

Sunday, August 17, 2008

The horses are finished, and now it's fencing. I'm sitting here frowning. I haven't watched fencing since the '70s, when I fenced a bit myself. (I quit when I realized I was building enormous thighs.)

Man, has the form changed! It's no longer a graceful and balanced dance. These guys are facing each other square on, presenting a huge target. Their free arms are dangling, waving around, often in front - and hey guys, I've noticed that about half the touches are on that arm. They're jumping around and frequently crashing into each other. It seems a touch needn't be with the point - they're flailing and whacking at each other, and scoring with the side. I thought that was allowed in saber only.

It's ugly. I am unhappy.
.

No comments: