Thursday, May 08, 2008

1800 Grass!

Thursday, May 8, 2008

Grass! I've got grass!

The Hunk had finished grading the side yard, and had spread grass seed on the front half. He wanted to water it, but my water pressure isn't good enough. So he wanted to spread straw, but I said no, because it would then have to be raked up, and that's a pretty large area. So the grass seed just lay there on the ground. The Hunk was very pessimistic as to its chances, and worried because it was a few hundred dollars worth of seed. I assured him that Nature would do her thing, if the turkeys didn't eat the seed first. We had a little rain, off and on, but as of Tuesday, two days ago, the seed all still lay there. I examined it closely, and it looked like the Hunk might be right. No sprouting whatsoever.

Today there's grass! Real grass! Not just a little here and there, either. It's thick, and as long as my little finger! It's like magic! I didn't look as closely yesterday as on Tuesday, but I swear there was nothing visible yesterday.

I checked the back half, where I had spread the wildflower seeds, and there's still no action, but I have more hope now.

About two years ago, in a fit of rebellion against Roman, who had said something nasty about lawn flamingos, I bought a wholesale lot of about 30 of the freakin' things in a variety of sizes and poses. At the time, I couldn't put them in the lawn because the guys who mow would have to remove and replace them. I thought about putting them in the woods along the driveway, but the undergrowth got so thick they'd disappear. So they're sitting in boxes in the basement.

Ahah! The section of the graded woods where I planted the wildflowers will be perfect for a flock of flamingos! Peeking between the trees. Flowers to their knees. Visible to visitors from the top of the driveway. Pure kitsch! Competition for the turkeys!

When the Hunk sees it, he'll crack up. He already thinks I'm funny.
.

1 comment:

Kate said...

And here I was thinking you were going to "Flamingo" Roman's yard!