Sunday, April 06, 2008

1755 Joplin et al.

Sunday, April 6, 2008

It's after midnight, and I'm sitting here running numbers, and as usual the tv is on in the background. It's tuned to PBS, and I have no idea exactly what's on. It seems to be a documentary movie about a late 60s multi-day outdoor concert. Not Woodstock - there's no rain or mud, and the audience is sitting quietly on rows and rows of neatly arranged folding chairs - but there were several large concerts around that time.

Anywhoo, I was sitting here deep in numbers, when Janis Joplin came on.

Wow! You hear her records, and you think, yeah, she could sing. But to SEE her sing! What an experience! The womanchild was incredible! (That's how I can date this concert to the late 60s. She died of a drug overdose in 1970, I believe, at 27.)

This is it, THE performance:

[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FlUAxqQkmc]

Ms. Joplin was followed by someone (not the Stones) doing "Paint It Black", one of my favorites, and right now, as I write this, Jimi Hendrix is tearing up "Wild Thing", and setting fire to his guitar.

Oops, he's gone. Now it's Moma Cass and friends. Oh, my.

I think I'm finished with numbers for the night.

Ok, over too soon. The credits are up. It was the Monterey festival, "The Summer of Love", June, 1967.

Sigh. Those were the days....

Back to numbers.
.

1 comment:

Becs said...

Bitchin' outfit. I heard she bought her clothes at Paraphernalia. (Seriously. I loved the clothes she wore.)