Friday, March 28, 2008

1744 Kilts

Friday, March 28, 2008

I haven't the faintest idea how I found this site, but it's loads of fun. It's for "Utilikilts", at http://www.utilikilts.com/. They've been running a "Mocumercial" contest for customers to submit customer-made video ads for Utilikilts.

Click on the "Mocumercial Archives" link on the right to see some of the ads. I liked Round 1 3rd Place "Kilt Fairie". On that page you'll also find the links for "Reasons to Wear a Kilt", and "Can you see my junk?" Wander around. It's fun.

----------------

Well, there were seven volunteers on the list for the tax clinic today, but only three of us actually showed up, probably because it was cold and raining. It wasn't too bad, though. The clients who came seemed pretty self-sufficient, and were pretty well spaced out through the time slots. We were asked to insert parental info sheets and health forms into county summer camp brochures in our spare time, and some of the clients helped with that, too. Helped to make their waiting time pass. We got a few thousand of those done.

----------------

Driving home, the road was wet, and as I approached the bridge over the Hudson, I remembered the time that Jay slid into the center guard rail, for no reason whatsoever, and wracked up his beloved 25-year-old Subaru.

That particular piece of road is famous for very strange accidents, a few of which I witnessed immediately after they happened.

I was driving toward the bridge one day and saw ahead an RV pulled over to the side, and a woman in the middle of the right lane frantically waving traffic over to the left lane (2 lanes on each side of the center guard rail there). When I got closer I could see an enormous gas tank spewing gasoline all over the road. The tank had apparently fallen out from the underside of the RV. If anybody hit it at 60 mph, there could have been a very interesting explosion.

Another day I saw a similar scene ahead - a car pulled over and a woman waving traffic over to the left lane. Only this time, it wasn't a gas tank. They had hit a bear. Very strange, because the largest shopping mall in the county is right there. Just as I passed, I saw a man trying to pull the bear off the road by its hind legs. Bad judgement there could have caused quite a different type of explosion!

That piece of road is like a twilight zone.

Just west of that section of road is an overpass. I've heard that in the past, at least once a month, every month, a tractor-trailer got stuck under it, or ripped the top off the trailer. That's the exit for The Company, and back when I was working at that plant, I'd seen several stuck trailers. After a truck finally ripped a piece out of the overpass, requiring a rebuild, the county raised it a few inches.

I doubt that a fix for the twilight zone would be that simple.
.

2 comments:

Becs said...

I love men in kilts. Preferably, large men with thick calves. Be still, my heart. And any pencil-legged guy out there thinking of getting a kilt should think twice.

Oo, I love me some 'Braveheart'.

Chris said...

I'm wearing a kilt right now....is there a draft in here?