Wednesday, March 26, 2008

1741 Dilatory Day

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

I visited the optometrist today. My eyes were dilated at 3:30 pm, and it's now 11 pm, and my pupils are still wide open. I had to wait four hours before I could leave the mall, and then it was only because I had some good sunglasses, and was driving east. I'm still having some difficulty focusing.

My prescription hasn't changed much. I'm a little less nearsighted than last year. I went ahead and got new lenses for my old everyday frames (I like the frames, and they still look good), but didn't get the sunglasses or the backup glasses changed. I don't know why my lenses are so expensive - $225, extra lightweight, scratch resistant, bifocal, no other coatings.

If you're nearsighted, that's one big benefit of aging - your eyes get better.

I had the full exam, and the only place I'm less than "just fine" is depth perception. I got only one out of four on that, but it's because I read so much, and I'm a left-brain reader, which means that my right eye does all the work and the left eye just goes along for the ride. That screws up depth perception. If I read more fiction, my eyes might share the load more, I guess.

I'm rather pleased because both my grandmother and mother were starting cataracts by my age. I'm clear.

--------------------------

The volunteer folks called while I was out, left a message and followed up with an email. The county office for aging wants someone to come in every other Monday all summer to handle scheduling, appointments, and fliers for the mobile medical exam van.

I can't seem to convince these people that I want no assignments that require an ongoing commitment, I don't want to commit too far out, and I want to keep weekends free from Friday 5 pm until Monday noon. I want just SWAT-team type stuff, like manning an desk at a clinic, or swinging a hammer some afternoon. I can commit to weekend days no more than two or three weeks ahead. I don't want ANY responsibilities that extend beyond one stint.

Their problem is that they do have a lot of volunteers who do want something to do, something regular to make them feel useful, who want responsibility, but most of them are verging on senility, and they really can't handle the jobs they're assigned. They get confused easily, and don't know that the problem is with them...they think the problem is the materials.

------------------------

The temperature today was in the mid-60s. Snow is predicted for Friday. Sigh.
.

2 comments:

Ally said...

your vision exam sounded like mine except my eyes did get worse. the whole dilation thing kind of freaked me out. i've had it done before and was seeing normal within two-three hours, but this time, i had to send myself to bed to 'recover'.

Becs said...

Why is it that eye drs never give you a second vision check AFTER you get your new glasses? I guess they assume the lab is perfect...