Friday, March 07, 2008

1720 Big Red

Friday, March 7, 2008

I was exposed to one of those women today. The kind I think of as the Ugly Americans.

I took Susy to the service station this afternoon to get her oil changed and all her fluids and pressures checked. I was the only person in the waiting room, sipping my tea and reading my book, when a woman in perhaps her mid to late 40s, her mother, and two teenaged sons slammed the door open and whirled in. Seriously, it was like a hurricane had arrived. The boys were quiet, but the woman and her mother were LOUD!!! It was like they wanted the entire neighborhood to hear everything they said, and they commented on and argued about everything.

The younger of the two women was loud in appearance, too. That brilliant dark red hair that screams fake, a diamond stud in the side of her nose. She wasn't necessarily fat, but she was large, seemed to fill the small room, moved in large gestures, and emphasized her bulk with a down parka. She didn't shut up for the 20 minutes we shared the room. She was hurting my ears.

I wanted to turn to her and ask, "Why are you so loud?"

These are the kind of American women I kept running into in Europe. The ones who made me want to be Canadian.
.

4 comments:

Becs said...

They seem to be proliferating and they invariably have cell phones.

Maybe they're Canadian...

Chris said...

Kind of like one of those characters from Hee-Haw? ;)

Kate said...

Why is it that so many women try that cherry-purple hair color? It just doesn't look right.

Becs said...

Because we have gay hairdressers who are paying too much attention to their daydreams about their new boyfriends. That's why. Sincerely, Red.