Wednesday, September 05, 2007

1465 More Yesterday

Wednesday, September 5, 2007

I forgot two things that happened yesterday.

When I was crossing the bridge over the Hudson, from Dutchess (yeah, that's spelled right) into Ulster county, at a hair after 1 pm, two police cars came tearing across the bridge, lights flashing, sirens on, high speed, headed for Dutchess. A little further on, there were two more.

Four police cars screaming east across a long bridge into the next county.

Now if police are coming in mass from a county across the river, how many police on the east side of the river responded? Seems like something big and unplanned went down. I'm intensely curious. I may never find out. The Poughkeepsie paper pretty much ignores the rural northern part of the county, and the Kingston paper - well, it's across the river, we don't exist.

When I passed Piper's office going home after the museum at 6:30 pm, Piper's car was there (he usually leaves about 4:30). He always knows everything that's going on, so I parked in a lot up the street, but when I walked back, his car was already gone.

---------------------------

The membership office at the museum is on the second floor in the back, on the Rondout Creek, overlooking the marina. The windows and back door (in my office) were open yesterday because of the heat.

The Sloop Clearwater was moored against the dock right outside (man, the mast on that thing is TALL!! The sails are HUGE!! How does the ship stay upright?) Anyway, they were varnishing the decks, and the fumes were coming right into my office, and I got sooooo high.
.

2 comments:

Becs said...

Ballast, dear. Ballast. That's where most of the cobblestones on Colonial streets came from.

~~Silk said...

Yeah. It's got lead in the keel. That's why it rides so low in the water. But when you see it for real, close up, it's still amazing.