Friday, August 31, 2007

1459 Spider Nightmare

Friday, August 31, 2007

I mentioned to Piper at lunch today that spiders always move into my house in the fall, and that they seem to be arriving early this year, even though it's still warm out.

I read in bed or work crossword puzzles before falling asleep, and if I see a spider run across the top of the mattress, I get very little sleep that night. It's happened three nights this week! Those hairy square muscular-looking wolf spiders.

Yesterday morning, a spider ran across the laptop keyboard, and without thinking, I picked up a notepad and stomped it. When I lifted the notepad, there were two bits of spider leg sticking out from the top and bottom of the "D" key. I don't know where the rest of the spider is. I don't want to think about where the rest of the spider is

Then I found this:

The stuff of nightmares! The web is at Lake Tawakoni State Park, Wills Point, Hunt Co., Texas.
It was discovered in early August, is slowly expanding, and continues through the trees and along the ground down a park nature trail for 200+ yards. Story at http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/08/30/spider.web.ap/index.html.
The park rangers say that there are so many mosquitos caught in the web, that the web buzzes. Probably disappointing to the spiders. I suspect they're after bigger game - like ME!
.

1 comment:

Chris said...

That's nothin'.....did you see THIS?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,295233,00.html