Monday, August 27, 2007

1453 Monday Walk

Monday, August 27, 2007

Beautiful day today. It was in the low eighties, but didn't feel that warm. Dry. Strong sun, cloudless sky. I decided it's time to start walking again. I've still got several pounds to lose and it's good for my back, so I headed for the village, planning to do a few miles around blocks.

I saw Piper's car outside his office, so I stopped by. Tomorrow is his birthday, and I wanted to find out if he had plans for tomorrow, and if not I'd treat him to lunch. (Ooo, that reminds me, I should go buy a card before the CVS closes.)

As is becoming usual lately, I found him with his cronies in the pub. I had an iced tea, then Vinnie came in, and we three had a late (3 pm) lunch, on Piper. They walked me to my car, and I was driving out of the village when I remembered I hadn't walked. I turned around and parked, and then walked for an hour. Some of the older (colonial, even!) houses on the back streets are very nice. Nice gardens. Smell of freshly mowed grass.

I passed a group of children at a lemonade stand, pink lemonade for $.50 a cup. I bought two, then a third when the sisters wouldn't let the little brother have one, so I treated him.

That felt nice. Not treating the little boy - FINDING a real wobbly-table kid-run lemonade stand on a shady street under big old trees among graceful colonial and Victorian houses.

I love late summer.

P.S. - the word being whispered on Wall Street is "recession". Time to entrench.
.

No comments: