Friday, April 20, 2007

1213 Talking

Thursday, April 19, 2007

It was FirstWoman, Roman, and me at the Third Thursday dinner this evening. FirstWoman left shortly after dessert. I don't know if she was really tired, or just sensitive to electricity. Roman was fairly crackling.

Roman and I sat and talked for the next two and a half hours, and left then only because the restaurant closed and they chased us out.

Well, to be truthful, it wasn't "Roman and I talked". Mostly he talked and I listened and validated and sympathized. Which I don't really mind because I love to hear him talk. He seems happy when he talks, it's rare to see him happy, and that's all I want is to see him happy. And I really didn't have anything to say, myself, anyway. He gets impatient when I talk. Funny how when you back off a bit you start to notice things you never noticed before.

I still love him, but in a stand-away way. I see more clearly now. It's entirely possible that it isn't in his path to be happy this time through, that the lesson he is meant to learn is best taught by the woman he's involved with, and it would be wrong of me to divert him from his life's path. It's probably the best use of his life. The right thing for me to do is to support him in his current endeavor, be there when he needs me, and walk away when he doesn't, and that's all.

Back to talking - I'm beginning to notice that many men don't really want to hear what a woman has to say. They say they do, but they don't, and they telegraph that. They end up teaching their women not to say anything important, and then complain because they never say anything important.
.

No comments: