Friday, February 09, 2007

1110 Why Do I Try So Hard to Understand?

Friday, February 09, 2006

There's a discussion going on in our Yahoo group. One of the guys wrote, concerning the diapered astronaut, "I don't expect an answer, but I have to ask: How can such smart people do such dumb things? This woman has an MA in aeronautical engineering for Christ sakes!"

I replied, "Passion. Deeply hurt feelings. Emotional pain. Just like enormous physical pain, it can send logic and self-respect out the window, making it absolutely necessary to do something, anything, to make the pain go away, or to stop the source of the pain. Smarts has nothing to do with it."

A second member chimed in, "Silk is absolutely correct. Anyone who's been there knows."

And then a third, "Hmmm. . . at the risk of sounding callous. . . should we be trying to dignify this sordid situation by sympathizing with the woman's feelings? After all she is already married & has 3 children. How about her husband & children's feelings when they find out she was lusting after the Commander all this time, instead keeping her mind on the robot arm? Not to mention reading in the papers about her driving 900 miles in a diaper?!? [...] I think she's about as sympathetic a figure as Amy. . . what was her name? The one who made Joey Buttafuoco famous. Or Caroline Warmus. Or Jack the Ripper."

(I think milady does in fact sound callous. There's a self-righteousness to her attitude that disturbs me.)

The first questioner comes back: "You're rigth[sic], of course, in thinking, that such behavior must be addressed seriously. However, understanding the motives for criminal acts does not, in itself, imply sympathy for those acts. Yet one can't have it both ways. ....Therefore punishment can fit the crime, and our sympathy, without a tortured need for justification, can go out to the criminals while they do the time.

My two cents: "Exactly, [questioner's name]. Understanding and sympathy does not mean you excuse the acts entirely, and the exercise is good for your soul. Forgiving does not mean forgoing all punishment or protective actions (although I think therapy is preferable to punishment in cases like this). I understand and pity Amy Whats-her-name, and the woman who drowned her children in the bathtub, and others like them. That doesn't at all mean I have forgotten the victims. It's not one or the other - it's both."

So, that led to thinking about why I need to understand why people do things, and why, once I understand, I'm willing to be more charitable. The answer is fairly easy, actually.

I was brought up to think that I couldn't do anything right, and that everything bad that happened, not only to me but to everyone around me, was my fault. I wasn't good enough. I didn't do things right. So by my twenties, whenever anyone hurt me, I took the blame. I just wasn't good enough. I deserved hurt. Worse, I would then wag my tail at those who hurt me, grovel at their feet, trying to get back in their good graces.

It took a long time and lots of therapy for me to learn that it wasn't always my fault. I am nice, and good, and capable. When people do hurtful things to me, the reason is not because I am bad or stupid or deserve it. Sometimes it's their problem, not mine. I was not a bad girl. My father was just plain clinically batshit.

But there's enough of that little girl still in me that I need to understand. I need to understand people's motives. Otherwise, the guilty feeling, the feelings of inadequacy, still creep in.

I also grew up feeling that I had no control over my life. I know well the feeling of having no control. When you have no control over your life, it's very easy to lose control.

I made elaborate plans to kill my father, twice. My baby brother (BB) was born when I was fifteen (1959, back when a man had a right to domestic abuse), and because my mother was in the hospital for so long after BB was born, he was essentially my baby. When he started walking and getting into things, I decided that if our father hit BB, the first time he hit BB, I was going to kill the SOB. I started going to the range with the airmen. I knew I'd get only one chance, so I learned well. I scored sharpshooter with a light handgun or rifle. I'd get him between the eyes even if he was moving.

As it happened, before he ever hit BB, something happened such that my mother had to sweep me off to Scranton to live with my grandmother, on 10 minutes notice, before my father got home, because when he got home he was going to kill me, or at least break several more bones.

I never lived at home again. But when I was 26, I visited for my youngest sister's wedding, and walked into the kitchen just as my father hit BB. I freaked. I told him if he ever hit BB again, I'd kill him. "I'll know. Someone will tell me. And you won't know when I'm coming. You'll turn around, and I'll be there. And I will kill you." (Other brother said "If she doesn't, I will." Other sister said "And if they both miss, I won't.") The SOB never hit BB again. But when I got home from that visit, I made elaborate plans for in case I had to do it. That astronaut had nothing on me. I am sure I really would have done it, and I didn't much care about consequences.

I know that good people can sometimes do bad things, but still be good people. They are often very hurt people.
.

No comments: